Saturday 11 December 2010

Eyewitness from London Protests

Friday December 10th 2011

A few thoughts on December 9th protests.

It was interesting, though somewhat disappointing, to see the contrast between the march, and the NUS-UCU rally yesterday. As a retired member, I appreciate that it is much easier for me to attend such events mid-week, than for those who are still employed, and have teaching commitments.

The (mainly student) march was very impressive, with thousands streaming through central London on a good-natured march. I was not sure what route was intended, since I was nowhere near the front, and when I saw lines of police blocking off Charing Cross and other left turns, I first imagined that they had intended stopping the demonstration at Trafalgar Square. I was a bit puzzled to be following the march down Pall Mall - (Whitehall was blocked by police) - and past Horse Guards Parade, and the back of Downing Street. There seemed to be no reaction from the police, and all remained calm, as if this was all intended. I supposed we were off through Parliament Square to the rally on the embankment. I assumed the police would block off access to Parliament itself.

When the march ground to a halt in Great George Street, I soon heard some students saying "Go back, or we'll get kettled in", and that the police were blocking the way, though I could not see above the crowds. I decided to head off for the rally via another route, but the only option seemed to be on the tube, since most routes were blocked by police.

At 3.00 pm, the rally was almost deserted, other than a handful of banners from different unions, and a few people. I had expected to see thousands of UCU and NUS moderates, who had not wanted to join in with the alternative march, and could have come via the tube.

By 3.30, a few hundred had gathered, including some UCU banners, students and members who had managed to get back via Trafalgar Square from the blocked march. We listened to speeches by Sally, Peter Hain, Caroline Lucas, and Bob Crow, which were OK, though it was pointed out (by Bob Crow, as I recall) that Labour had first introduced the fee charges.

I am not sure what route had been intended, or why the police had not funnelled the march towards the embankment.

Certainly, a few marchers came equipped for trouble with police (flares and crash helmets), though clearly they were not the only victims of subsequent police attacks (see BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11965694). A couple of young women school students on our bus said how frightened they had been by police baton and horse charges when they were simply walking away from the confrontations up a quiet part of the street.

So far, I haven't seen or heard any news report about the speeches at the official rally. Clearly the media prefer the confrontational scenes, though not all the media comments about the student demonstration, anger at the vote etc. are negative.

So was the huge student march, with the ensuing trouble, a distraction from the official rally? Maybe, but I cannot see media ever taking much interest in such a small rally.

No comments:

Post a Comment